With so many mouths to feed, my mom did everything she could to stretch her dollar at dinner and keep her recipes simple. That meant that a lot of our meals featured ground beef, from meatloaf to tacos to chili to spaghetti there isn’t a ground beef dish my mother didn’t have a recipe for. And then there was my favorite of them all, sloppy Joes. The Sloppy Joes my mom made always included ground beef, onion powder, a Sloppy Joe seasoning mix and potato rolls. The sides typically include Ore-Ida french fries and an iceberg lettuce salad.
Yesterday I had an intense craving for my mom’s Sloppy Joes, I was home sick from work and needed comfort food. Google to the rescue. After searching for recipes online I stumbled across this version on allrecipescom. In an effort to appease my Chubster and to keep grocery shopping at a minimum, I made some tweaks and let me tell you it was fantastic.
The biggest difference between my version and the one from allrecipes was the substitution of ground turkey. I prefer ground turkey for three reasons: first, its healthier, especially when you use all white meat, second, I find it to be more flavorful and third, there is less grease and less grease means less clean-up. Less clean up makes me a happy camper.
And without further ado, my healthy take on one of Bon-Bon’s go to meals.
Health(ier) Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground turkey, white meat only
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the ground turkey until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and mushrooms; saute for 5 more minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Mix in tomato paste and water, stirring until paste is dissolved. Stir in garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue to heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is thick.
- Serve immediately.